Director, Platform Product Management
Mountain View or San Francisco, CA, United States
Mozilla is seeking a dynamic Director of Product Management to define and drive the evolution of our platform. This is a key strategic role reporting to the Vice-President of Product Management. This individual will lead the charge in managing and optimizing our core technology platform including the Gecko layout engine which is the foundation for Mozilla’s product portfolio: Firefox for desktop, Firefox for android, and Firefox OS. A passion for and deep understanding of web technologies and standards is the initial key qualification. As a senior member of the Mozilla organization, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading a high-powered team of product managers and collaborating with the world class Mozilla R&D organization.
• Collect and prioritize requirements from Mozilla product teams, the web application developer community, content and key strategic partners and collaborate with R&D to translate them into a platform strategy & roadmap
• Assess the market, competition, and customer needs to help define the future direction of the Mozilla platform
• Drive effective understanding, linkage, and prioritization of projects and resources, across development teams
• Drive key product management functions, including backlog development and assessment, competitive analysis, user story/use-case development, product roadmap creation and management, user persona development and etc.
• Partner closely with the engineering team to help determine the best technical implementation methods as well as execution schedule.
• Drive quarterly planning process and program reviews to continually assess strategy and product velocity
• Identify and develop strategic partnerships to accelerate momentum
• Represent Mozilla to the industry and within the web standards community
• Recruit, develop and retain a talented team of product managers responsible for managing these programs.
• A technical and/or business degree
• 12+ years experience of software platform product management or development
• 5+ years experience with web platforms and technologies
• Experience with Open Source platforms/products a plus
• Experience defining new high technology products and successfully bringing those products to market
• Strong leadership, negotiation, and team player skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including strengths in meeting objectives through influence, facilitation and team building
• Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with key product stakeholders
• Demonstrated capabilities to work smart, be flexible, creative, and multi-task in a fast paced environment
• Strong project management and prioritization skills
• Strategic planning expertise, the ability to manage change, and the desire to operate effectively within an aggressive organization
• Proven ability to translate ideas into action, and prioritize
• Strong attention to detail while following the high-level strategy and goals of the project.
• Ability to multitask a variety of assignments and proven ability to meet strict deadlines.
• Excellent written, presentation, public speaking and verbal communications skills
• Teamwork, interpersonal & relationship-building skills, strong team leader and player
• Organized and dependable
• Some travel required
- Product Management
Mozilla is a thriving community of intelligent, principled and passionate individuals who build software to preserve choice, openness, and innovation on the Internet. We work in the open on hard problems to ensure that the future of the Web is not dominated by large corporate interests, but driven by the idea that individual users should always be in control or their online lives. Join us!
We Are Global
- 500+ paid staff from over 30 countries and 25 US states
- Thousands of active contributors across six continents
- Nine principal offices: Mt. View, San Francisco, Vancouver, Toronto, Auckland, Paris, London, Beijing, Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices around the world
And so are our benefits...
- Competitive pay
- Great health coverage
- Travel and conference budgets
- Ability to work using the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Dozens of technical brownbags and invited speakers each month
Because we love what we do!
- We take bold technical leaps
- We code in the open and we ship in the open
- We directly impact over 450 Million users
- We build technology for the benefit of the Web's users and creators
- We work in a culture defined by principles over profits