Senior Performance EngineerApply for this job
- Portland, San Francisco, Toronto
The Firefox Performance team at Mozilla works with the rest of the Firefox team to improve the speed of Firefox. Are you are a systems level programmer who is enthusiastic about working collaboratively with a worldwide community? If this sounds like you, please get in touch with us!
In this role you’ll be a core team member working to improve Gecko and Firefox for the benefit of users and web developers alike, having frequent contact with collaborators. Firefox is a mature project always looking for new optimizations and we are trying to write some of our new components in Rust. You’ll be responsible for writing code, tests, specifications, building prototypes, solving problems, and analyzing data. You'll get feedback from real users and synthesize it into bug reports, feature designs, and strategic direction to make Firefox faster.
As a Senior Firefox Performance Engineer at Mozilla, you will…
- Discover and diagnose performance problems in all areas of Firefox.
- Reproduce and investigate reports of less-than-stellar performance.
- Demonstrate improvements through data-driven analyses.
- Identify performance gaps against our goals and metrics for measuring them.
- Redesign and rewrite (where necessary) parts of the Firefox codebase.
- Collaborate with specialist teams on shared goals.
Your professional profile:
- Good understanding of how software works at the systems level, familiarity with low-level aspects of performance, multi-threading, performance analysis and optimization, and web languages.
- BS or MS (or equivalent experience) in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years experience developing systems level applications, C++ preferred
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: web browsers, compilers, computer graphics.
- Creative problem-solver and proficient debugger and profiler.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Additional skills that might just set you apart:
- Experience working with distributed teams.
- Experience with a large codebase (i.e. reading lots of code!).
- Experience with Android development
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.