Voice UX Design Intern (Summer 2019)Apply for this job
- Emerging Technologies
- Mountain View, San Francisco
Mozilla is hiring a voice design and research intern for our Emerging Technologies team. Emerging Technologies is Mozilla’s early research and development organization focused on the areas of voice assistants, speech and language, and mixed reality. The internship opportunity is available at either our Mountain View or San Francisco office.
We are engineers, designers, makers, and problem solvers. We work in the fishbowl known as the open source community, with a clear focus on making the Web better. Working with us, you’ll help build interesting new features, improvements in Firefox, and explore new product directions. To be part of the team, we ask that you be user centered, technically-curious, and excited to be moving the Mozilla mission forward.
Mozilla isn’t just a great place to work, it’s an experience you’ll carry with you throughout your career. As part of our internship program, you’ll have the opportunity to be mentored one-on-one by a talented and experienced designer, to impact the projects you’ll collaborate on, and to never be bored. Ever. From the passionate people you’ll learn from, to the chances you’ll have to make the Web a better place, your time with Mozilla will be unlike any other.
Below is a small snapshot of the work we do to give you an idea about some of the big things you could do at Mozilla.
Voice UX Design Intern (San Francisco, CA and Mountain View, CA)
Mozilla’s advanced development team is looking for a voice design intern to contribute to product explorations around voice and language assistants. The team is exploring what it means to “voice browse the web”, how text-to-speech can be used with internet based content to deliver information in hands-free and eyes-free environments, and how audio can become a first class citizen of the web.
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program in Human Computer Interaction, Voice Interfaces, Interaction Design or related design discipline with a focus on user experience.
- Must be currently enrolled in university with graduation dates starting December 2019 and onward or have graduated from a Coding Academy within last year
- Voice user interface design, UX design
- User testing and experimentation research experience
- Proficiency using Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite or other design tools
- Experience with rapid, lo-fi prototype and validation: sketches, ideation, paper prototypes, rapid user research
- Ability to interpret multiple streams of feedback, multi-task, and produce results independently and collaboratively in a team
- Reasonable fluency in and passion for technology
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong communications and social skills, strong analytical and critical thinking skills, excellent organization, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Adept at handling ambiguous or undefined challenges through strong problem solving abilities
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Focus on quality and details
- Collaborative and constructive
- Ability to empathize with your audience
- Experience conducting small and medium scale user studies
- Understanding of accessibility and inclusive design
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.