Staff Research Engineer — WebAssembly VM/RuntimeApply for this job
- Emerging Technologies
- Berlin, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Toronto, Vancouver
WebAssembly isn’t limited to the Web. The WebAssembly tooling team at Mozilla Research is building a WebAssembly runtime to bring it's portability and security to a wide range of use cases outside the browser.
We are looking for someone with a background in VM design, language runtimes, or systems programming to help us define and eventually standardize how WebAssembly is used outside the browser. You will closely collaborate with our compiler engineers, the rest of the WebAssembly tooling team, and our Rust team.
You’ll own major components of our software stack, designing the architecture, writing code and tests, and analyzing data and consumer feedback. In doing so, you’ll regularly engage with consumers of our runtime inside and outside of Mozilla, with other WebAssembly implementers, and with the WebAssembly Working Group.
As a Staff Research Engineer working on our WebAssembly runtime you will...
- Bring WebAssembly to new use cases outside the browser.
- Help design and implement a secure and portable WebAssembly runtime in Rust.
- Help design and implement a capabilities-based WebAssembly standard library.
- Implement new WebAssembly language features.
- Work in the open with a geographically-distributed development team.
- Engage with the WebAssembly Working Group and other standardization bodies.
- At least 3-5 years experience developing in languages such as Rust, C++, or C.
- Experience in systems programming, VM design, language runtime design and implementation, or similar domains.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.