Senior Web Compatibility EngineerApply for this job
- Remote Canada, Toronto, Vancouver
The modern web is increasingly developed with a single browser engine in mind, which can result in a degraded, broken, or significantly different experience for Firefox users. Web Compatibility Engineers are key advocates for opening up the web such that users of Firefox browsers can enjoy all that a fast, safe, and global web has to offer.
In this role as a Senior Web Compatibility Engineer you will lead investigations into known and potential compatibility issues, and build new tools to unlock novel approaches for improving compatibility with the existing and future web. You will also serve as an advocate for Firefox browsers, working to resolve issues with top sites and partners.
As a Web Compatibility Engineer at Mozilla, you will:
- Investigate and diagnose issues reported by Firefox users, identifying bugs in Gecko, bugs in sites, or web platform interoperability deficiencies
- Identify and connect with website owners and engineers outside of Mozilla. Help them understand how to repair their code to improve cross browser compatibility
- Submit patches that fix issues in open source web frameworks
- Work with Mozilla engineers on fixing Gecko to be more compatible with the web and web standards
- Build tools to assist in understanding compatibility issues
- Represent the Mozilla brand through positive communication with site and framework developers, Firefox users, and Mozilla volunteers
- Become proficient with our code base, multiple languages (JS, Python, C++), and development tools
- Collaborate with a geographically distributed development team
Your Professional Profile:
- 4+ years experience developing end-user applications (web-based or native)
- Deep understanding of web technologies (JS, CSS, DOM, HTML)
- Strong code debugging skills, including 3rd party code
- Ability to read technical specifications and navigate large codebases
- Written and verbal interpersonal skills in English
- Excited to work in the open as part of the Mozilla open source project, and engage with Mozilla’s global community
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.