Feel good about your work again
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Mountain View, Remote US, San Francisco
We’re looking for a passionate, driven and experienced devops engineer to help us manage and expand our AWS cloud infrastructure to meet the increasing needs of our growing team.
At Pocket we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become essential to how people discover and consume content worthy of their time and attention on any device and on their own time. If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe Pocket has challenges ahead that will excite you.
You'll need extraordinary AWS skills, experience deploying internet-scale applications in cloud environments, and a deep understanding of DevOps and modern web and mobile applications. You'll be expected to provide hands-on technical engineering of our ever-growing server and application environments. Most importantly, you'll be an integral part of the team handling the infrastructure responsible for delivering Pocket to millions of users.
We're a small team that has the resources of a large company (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017) and that means lots of opportunity to own projects from start to finish that have tremendous impact on millions of users, across many different devices and platforms. Your role will fundamentally affect the success of Pocket.
Come work with us and make a huge impact.
What you’ll do:
- Maintenance and modernization of our core server infrastructure in AWS which includes helping to scale our back-end services to meet the increasing needs of our user base and supporting the Pocket team as they explore new opportunities and solutions
- Build and maintain platforms for distributing and monitoring technical products
- Support, tuning, maintenance, and documentation of our operating environment including builds, code deployment, and solving problems
- Write, maintain, and expand automation scripts, metrics and monitoring tooling, and orchestration recipes
- Work with product engineering to ensure code is production ready
- Collaborate with QA, Security, and Engineering for coordinated code releases and with our counterparts on Mozilla’s Service Operations Team to share and implement best practices.
What you already have:
- You have proven cloud infrastructure knowledge, from high level architectural concepts down to the implementation. AWS experience a plus.
- You've earned your wings in operations and are comfortable working alongside agile ops teams.
- You love automating yourself out of a job, and have experience scripting and coding in shell, Python, Ruby, and/or Go.
- The full stack does not scare you, and you can run the infrastructure for the code you write.
- You have experience developing deployment, automation and monitoring strategies to ensure releases happen predictably and smoothly … and when they don’t, we can understand why.
- Experience maintaining infrastructure as code (Cloudformation, Terraform, or other)
- Comfortable working with serverless compute resources and container environments such as AWS Lambda, Docker, Kubernetes, and ECS
- You possess strong communication skills and an ability to approach problems in a structured way and distill complex issues into actionable insights.
- B.S. in Computer Science would be lovely, but real-world experience is preferred.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to growing diversity in our workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pocket: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment