Feel good about your work again
Senior Software Engineer - Backend
- Mountain View, Remote US, San Francisco
We’re looking for a passionate, driven and experienced backend engineer to help us deliver world-class applications across the Pocket product line.
At Pocket we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become essential to how people discover and consume content worthy of their time and attention on any device and on their own time. If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe Pocket has challenges ahead that will excite you.
With millions of people discovering and consuming content across the Pocket platform, our community generates one of the most unique and interesting sets of data on the web. We are looking to expand our team to help achieve our mission of advancing access to and discovery of high-quality, personalized content across the web. If you are interested in building out the infrastructure and scaling our systems that allow people to focus and become more knowledgeable about the things that interest them, then Pocket might be the place for you!
We're a small team that has the resources of a large company (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017) and that means lots of opportunity to own projects from start to finish that have tremendous impact on hundreds of millions of users, across many different devices and platforms. Your role will fundamentally affect the success of Pocket.
Come work with us and make a huge impact.
What you’ll do:
- Own significant pieces of our architecture that millions of users interact with and hundreds of developers build applications upon.
- Take on challenges relating to scaling our platform, improving our API, enhancing user-facing features (sync, search, recommendations, etc.) and measuring and optimizing everything we do.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, designers, product managers and support teams to implement our product strategy.
- Contribute daily to decisions affecting the future of Pocket and its platform.
What you already have:
- You enjoy working the full stack front to back, inside and out. Experience working with many languages and frameworks a plus. MySQL and PHP experience preferred.
- A B.S. in Computer Science would be lovely, but real-world experience is preferred.
- You have at least 3 years professional experience. Experience scaling a platform to handle millions of users a plus. Consumer-facing product experience a plus.
- You uphold standards for quality and performance by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, and creating tests.
- You possess strong communication skills and an ability to approach problems in a structured way and distill complex issues into actionable insights.
- While not required, any direct experience with Amazon Web Services, familiarity with web standards and popular frameworks (e.g., Symfony, Laravel, Rails) are all considered a plus.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to growing diversity in our workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pocket: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment