Feel good about your work again
Senior Software Engineer - Graphics
The Mozilla Firefox Platform Graphics team is a community of engineers who care deeply about the visual experience of using the browser. We are the team responsible for rendering the content and UI of the browser, decoding images, canvas and WebGL, painting and compositing everything you see on the screen. Are you an effective Software Engineer who loves collaborating with and leading driven, committed team members to help bring the Open Web to millions of people? We'd love to hear from you.
Our team is geographically-distributed, and working in the open is the norm. You can expect to work on the code driving the Firefox browser on a number of platforms - Android, Windows, Linux, and OS X. Our focus is on writing fast, lightweight and maintainable code to make Firefox great for users.
We are looking for Engineers with experience in C++ and/or Rust. You’ll be responsible for writing code, tests, specifications, building prototypes, solving problems, and analyzing data. You are a self-starter who wants to have a direct, immediate impact on the web.
What You’ll Do
- Work cooperatively with other Mozillians to identify and correct issues, and ask for help as needed
- Write high-quality, performant, open source, and standards compliant code
- Develop innovative graphics techniques, algorithms and tools to maximize the graphics quality and performance of Firefox
- Participate in regular code reviews, team meetings and planning
- Help triage and test bugs, taking the initiative to drill down to root causes and explore potential solutions
We value a variety of voices on the Graphics Team and at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer science or similar field
- Experience developing C/C++ and/or Rust applications
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience with memory and performance optimizations tools
- Experience with GPU and CPU optimizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven record of finishing projects where the work spans several months
- Ability to quickly learn and be effective with a large code base
- Experience participating and contributing to open source projects a plus
Bonus points if you have any of the following:
- Familiarity with Android application programming, profiling and debugging
- Knowledge of a range of Graphics APIs and shader languages
- Knowledge of GPU Architectures and design
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Engineering: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment