Feel good about your work again
Localization Specialist (Contractor)
Mozilla is in a category of one: a global technology social enterprise super-powered by a worldwide community of volunteers, with a mission to keep the internet a healthy public resource for all. By building great products, creating innovative technologies, and engaging people to take action, we create an outsized impact in the world. We always place people ahead of profits.
The Mozilla creative team delivers the visual and verbal expression of the Firefox brand. We create experiences that attract interest, enlighten users, and make our products beloved. You will work with fellow brand, product, social, PR, events, and communications team members to create content and experiences that spread our story to like-minded people all over the world.
Firefox is more than a browser: it’s a whole family of products designed to help you safely navigate your relationship with technology, so you can own your data and your digital life. We’ve just debuted our new brand system, and are exploring new ways to deepen our relationship with users. It’s an exciting time to join us as we seek to amplify our impact, fight for peoples’ rights online, and help protect the internet for future generations.
We’re seeking an experienced localizer to support Firefox marketing efforts in French and German. You’ll be the one adapting our English-language content to make it relevant for the French and German markets, both in tone and cultural context. You will be a member of two cross-functional agile teams: EU Brand Marketing and EU Growth Marketing. On these teams, you will contribute to project planning and prioritization, receive assignments, collaborate with copywriters, and present your work to the team.
You have a deep love and understanding of language, knowing how to translate ideas and intentions into the right words for the audience at hand. You bring a strong sense of brand to everything you write, understanding the importance of a consistent tone of voice, and knowing how to meet people where they are in our user journey. Regardless of the assignment, you’ll find novel ways to express the personality and tone of our brand: Radical, Opinionated, Open and Kind.
This contract position is located in our Berlin office, and reports to the Head of Copy on the Brand Team.
As a Contract Localizer here at Mozilla…
- You’ll localize all kinds of touchpoints, from blog posts to web pages, emails, mobile push notifications, in-product communications, marketing materials, videos, and social.
- You’ll help refine the DE and FR voice and tone of our brand as part of the ongoing evolution of its identity system, and help to define and deepen the Firefox user journey.
- You’ll work collaboratively and in the open with a team of other copywriters and visual designers as well as product marketing managers, developers, and UX specialists.
- You’ll conduct benchmarking audits and make recommendations regarding brand tone.
- You’ll participate in the evaluation of consumer research to inform copy iteration.
- You might even get in on side projects around product naming and brand campaigns.
Your Professional Profile
- 5 years experience in localization, copywriting, linguistics, translation, or related field.
- Fluent copywriting skills in French and German
- Ability to pitch work-in-progress ideas and present final work to a diverse set of partners and draw inspiration from their feedback
- Experience working collaboratively and in the open using Google documents
- Self-motivated to prioritize and manage workload and meet project deadlines
- Experience publishing your own content in a blog, on a site, or in print
- Ability to write in a variety of styles with an ear for modern, conversational German and French
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Marketing: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment