Feel good about your work again
Firefox Security Student Worker (Werkstudent)
Firefox Security Student Worker (Werkstudent)
Mozilla is hiring a Firefox Security Student Worker (Werkstudent) into our Security Engineering team. Our headquarters are based in Mountain View, but this position will be located in Berlin, Germany.
Mozilla isn’t just a great place to work, it’s an experience you’ll carry with you throughout your career. As part of our German Student Worker program, you’ll have the opportunity to be mentored one-on-one by a talented and experienced engineer, to impact the projects you’ll collaborate on, and to never be bored. Ever. From the passionate people you’ll learn from, to the chances you’ll have to make the Web a better place, your time with Mozilla will be unlike any other.
- Team: Security Engineering
- Mentor: Steven Englehardt, Nihanth Subramanya
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- Tentative Start Date: Immediately (1. September 2019)
- Duration: 1 year
The Firefox Privacy & Security Engineering team builds and maintains Firefox features & services to protect the security & privacy of Firefox users. Core to that effort is Enhanced Tracking Protection (ETP) -- i.e., cookie blocking, tracker blocking, fingerprinting blocking, and cryptomining blocking -- which blocks services from tracking users around the web and wasting their resources.
ETP relies entirely on blocklists to identify the trackers, fingerprinters, and cryptominers that Firefox should block. These lists are curated in partnership with Disconnect, whereby the Security Engineering team prepares lists of domains that appear to participate in these practices, and Disconnect completes a manual review and verification procedure before adding the flagged domains to their blocklist. We discover unblocked domains using Mozilla’s OpenWPM web crawler, and submit those domains for review by Disconnect.
In this role, you will perform foundational work on the OpenWPM web crawler and crawl deployment infrastructure. These efforts will allow us to perform larger and more regular measurements with richer instrumentation. You will help us to improve the security of Firefox and the web in general. Your work will directly improve the privacy of millions of users.
We offer flexible working hours and competitive compensation depending on the number of hours. You will be able to participate in our office life, including daily catered lunches and various social activities.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree program in a university in or around Berlin in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline with a focus on security, privacy, or software development
- Available to come to our offices during regular working hours depending on your class schedule
- Basic knowledge of core web technologies and browser extension interfaces. Knowledge of web security and web privacy concepts is a plus
- Speak English fluently and enjoy conducting software engineering work in the open
- Preference will be given to candidates that have experience working with cloud infrastructure technologies (AWS, Docker, Kubernetes) and/or those who have had past web crawling experience
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Engineering: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment