Feel good about your work again
User Experience Research Intern - Pocket (Summer 2020)
- San Francisco
At Pocket we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become essential to how people discover and consume content worthy of their time and attention on any device and on their own time. If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe Pocket has challenges ahead that will excite you.
With millions of people discovering and consuming content across the Pocket platform, our community generates one of the most unique and interesting sets of data on the web. We are looking to expand our team to help achieve our mission of advancing access to and discovery of high-quality, personalized content across the web.
We're a small team that has the resources of a large company (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017) and that means lots of opportunity to own projects from start to finish that have tremendous impact on hundreds of millions of users, across many different devices and platforms. Your role will fundamentally affect the success of Pocket.
As a part of our Internship Program, you will:
- Be mentored by a fellow teammate and someone who shares the same values
- Do real work on real projects and make contributions that will impact hundreds of millions of users
- Participate in social events with your fellow interns (amusement parks, ice cream and boba socials, board game nights, escape rooms, and painting parties)
- Meet with Mozilla and Pocket leaders including our CEO, Executive Chairwoman, CPO, Chief R&D Officer, CMO, and Executive Foundation Director
- Present your work to leaders and fellow team members
- Market competitive pay
- Catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Housing service or housing stipend provided
- Flights and ground transportation to and from internship
- Work visas sponsored
- Attendance at our bi-annual All Hands Meeting
Application and Interview Process
- Recruiting begins in September, and we hire on a rolling basis through March. While there is no set application deadline, we do have a limited number of positions open each year, so please apply early!
- Process starts with a resume review followed by a HackerRank challenge (technical) or document submission (non-technical)
- Upon passing, you will partake in two technical and/or behavioral interviews with team members (coding and/or situational questions are fair game) followed by a hiring manager interview and ultimately, an offer decision.
User Experience Research Intern (San Francisco, CA)
Pocket is looking for a graduate student User Research intern to take on various projects within our Design and Research team. Interns will have the opportunity to work on User Research projects in the online publishing domain. As an intern, you’ll participate in research operations, work closely with designers and PMs, lead interviews, own a short research project from end to end, and bring new research methodologies to the table.
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or other advanced degree program in Human Computer Interaction, Information Science, User Experience Design, Interaction Design, Computer Science, or a related discipline
- Graduation date starting December 2020 and onward
- User research methodologies
- Fluency with data and data visualization
- Some experience with UX/UI and graphic design
- Web design tools and languages
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong communication and social skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organization, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interpret large amounts of data, multi-task, and produce results independently and collaboratively in a team
- Empathy for users, passion for using data to make product decisions, experience with user research techniques
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
Pocket: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment