Feel good about your work again
Machine Learning Intern (Summer 2020)
- Emerging Technologies
Mozilla is hiring a Machine Learning Intern for our Emerging Technologies team. Emerging Technologies is Mozilla’s early research and development organization focused on the areas of voice assistants, speech and language, and mixed reality. Our headquarters are based in the Bay Area, but this internship opportunity is at our Berlin Office.
We are engineers, designers, makers, and problem solvers. We work in the fishbowl known as the open source community, with a clear focus on making the Web better. Working with us, you’ll help build interesting new features, improve Mozilla products, and explore new product directions. To be part of the team, we ask that you be user centered, technically-curious, and excited to be moving the Mozilla mission forward.
As a part of our Mozilla Internship Program, you will:
- Impact challenging projects in our Firefox web browser (accessibility, voice design, developer tools, mobile, and mixed reality), Rust, Pocket, and more
- Be mentored by a fellow teammate and someone who shares the same values
- Do real work on real projects and make contributions that will impact hundreds of millions of users
- Participate in social events with your fellow interns (amusement parks, ice cream and boba socials, board game nights, escape rooms, and painting parties)
- Meet with Mozilla leaders including our CEO, Executive Chairwoman, CPO, Chief R&D Officer, CMO, and Executive Foundation Director
- Present your work to Mozilla leaders and fellow team members
- Market competitive pay
- Catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Housing service or housing stipend provided
- Flights and ground transportation to and from internship
- Work visas sponsored
- Attendance at our bi-annual All Hands Meeting
Application and Interview Process
- Recruiting begins in September, and we hire on a rolling basis through March. While there is no set application deadline, we do have a limited number of positions open each year, so please apply early!
- Locations include Mountain View, San Francisco, Toronto, Berlin, and Paris. Please refer to our internship listings for specific locations offered by position.
- Process starts with a resume review followed by a HackerRank challenge (technical) or document submission (non-technical).
- Upon passing, you will partake in two technical and behavioral interviews with team members (coding and situational questions are fair game) followed by a hiring manager interview and ultimately, an offer decision.
We have a position open on the following team:
Deep Learning TTS Research Engineering Intern (Berlin, Germany)
We are a small team tackling machine learning's toughest problems. Primarily concentrating on deep learning algorithms, we tackle problems related to STT (speech to text), TTS (text to speech), NMT (neural machine translation), NLU (natural-langue understanding), and more. We’re looking for an intern to work on deep learning TTS algorithms and to improve Mozilla's TTS system.
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical discipline with a focus on software development
- Must be currently enrolled in university with graduation dates starting December 2020 and onward or have graduated from a Coding Academy within last year
- Proficiency in Python, Unix/Linux
- Experience with TensorFlow
- Up to date on the latest deep learning research
- A thorough understanding of deep learning algorithms
- Technical fluency—ability to clearly discuss algorithms, architectures, and trade-offs
- Experience in systems software and algorithms
- Understanding of Web Tracking, Machine Learning or Cryptographic concepts
- Ability to quickly learn and be effective with a large code base
- Experience with writing and publishing academic papers
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong communication and social skills
- Reasonable fluency in and passion for technology
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Familiarity with how to access and employ a variety of resources
- Ability to interpret large amounts of data, multi-task, and produce results independently and collaboratively in a team
Note that this is a long wishlist of qualifications: if you feel you have some but not all of these skills, but you are interested, please do apply anyway.
**Please include a cover letter describing your research topic and/or dissertation topic and relevant project choice/area of interest.**
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
Emerging Technologies: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment