Feel good about your work again
Rust Intern (Summer 2020)
- Berlin, Mountain View, Toronto
Mozilla is hiring Rust Interns onto our technical teams throughout the world. Our headquarters are based in the Bay Area, but we also have opportunities at our offices in Berlin and Toronto!
We are engineers, designers, makers, and problem solvers. We work in the fishbowl known as the open source community, with a clear focus on making the Web better. Working with us, you’ll help build interesting new features, improve Mozilla products, and explore new product directions. To be part of the team, we ask that you be user centered, technically-curious, and excited to be moving the Mozilla mission forward.
As a part of our Mozilla Internship Program, you will:
- Impact challenging projects influenced by our family of Mozilla products in and outside of the Firefox web browser (accessibility, voice design, developer tools, mobile, and mixed reality), Rust, Pocket, and more
- Be mentored by a fellow teammate and someone who shares the same values
- Do real work on real projects and make contributions that will impact hundreds of millions of users
- Participate in social events with your fellow interns (amusement parks, ice cream and boba socials, board game nights, escape rooms, and painting parties)
- Meet with Mozilla leaders including our CEO, Executive Chairwoman, CPO, Chief R&D Officer, CMO, and Executive Foundation Director
- Present your work to Mozilla leaders and fellow team members
- Market competitive pay
- Catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Housing service or housing stipend provided
- Flights and ground transportation to and from internship
- Work visas sponsored
- Attendance at our bi-annual All Hands Meeting
Application and Interview Process
- Recruiting begins in September, and we hire on a rolling basis through March. While there is no set application deadline, we do have a limited number of positions open each year, so please apply early!
- Locations include Mountain View, San Francisco, Toronto, Berlin, and Paris. Please refer to our internship listings for specific locations offered by position.
- Process starts with a resume review followed by a HackerRank challenge (technical) or document submission (non-technical).
- Upon passing, you will partake in two technical and behavioral interviews with team members (coding and situational questions are fair game) followed by a hiring manager interview and ultimately, an offer decision.
We have 3 positions open on the following teams:
Rust Compiler Intern (Berlin, Germany)
The Low Level Tools team at Mozilla is responsible for managing various low-level integration points for Firefox. For example, the team supports updating and maintaining our compiler toolchain, working on performance improvements in Firefox as well as the tools we use to build it, maintaining our crash reporting infrastructure, working on memory usage and tools for analysis, and working our core libraries in the Gecko engine that are used across the Firefox codebase. We're looking for an intern to help us reduce the compilation time required by Rust compiler, rustc, with an emphasis on improving the performance of incremental builds.
Software Engineering Intern (Mountain View, CA)
The Services Engineering team is looking forward to having an intern join us in bringing one of our core Firefox services to the next stage. We are currently migrating many of our core services and applications from various languages (node, python) over to Rust. This will standardize our server platform on a common language and library support set that reduces operational costs, safeguards against memory based vulnerabilities, and prepares the platform for future features and improvements. Work will entail porting legacy code, ensuring full functionality and operational compatibility, as well as using Rust's newly stable async/await feature for highly performant asynchronous logic. Our intern will also learn how to mindfully select libraries based on features, license compatibility, and performance, all while learning how to work successfully within a distributed software engineering team.
Software Engineering Intern, Firefox Sync (Toronto, Canada)
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical discipline with a focus on software development
- Graduation date starting December 2020 and onward
- Or have graduated from a Coding Academy within last year
- Experience in systems software, compilers and algorithms
- C / C++, Rust, Unix/Linux
- Python a plus for Service Migration Intern role
- Reasonable fluency in and passion for technology
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organization, time management, and interpersonal skills
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
Engineering: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment