Feel good about your work again
Recommendations Editor, Pocket
- San Francisco
We’re looking for an intellectually curious, passionate, and driven Recommendations Editor to identify and surface top-notch articles and videos from across the internet. You would be directly responsible for helping millions of people who crave substance, insight, and perspective connect to stories that matter to them. Are you a voracious reader? Do you have an eye for smart, engaging content? Can you demonstrate superb editorial judgment? If yes, you might be the right person for this job.
Founded in 2007, Pocket became part of the Mozilla family of products in 2017 and operates as an independent subsidiary. Our mission is to empower people to consume stories worthy of their time and attention—whether that's through the articles we curate for readers around the globe, or the Pocket app, which lets people save content and come back to it when they’re free.
Millions of people have downloaded our app, millions more subscribe to our daily newsletter, and an even bigger audience sees the stories we curate in Firefox every day. We’re building a content platform where high-quality stories from around the web can thrive long after their original publish date. In a nutshell, we’re passionate about storytelling as a way to improve people’s lives—if this resonates with you, let’s talk!
What you’ll do:
- Spotlight and promote great content across all of Pocket’s recommendation products;
- Abide by and refine Pocket’s curation guidelines and strategy to maintain a high bar of quality and diversity in our recommendation products;
- Collaborate with our product, marketing, engineering, data, and sales teams to ensure our recommendation products align with Pocket’s mission and curation guidelines;
- Work with publishers, content creators, and influential Pocket users to pursue new opportunities for high-quality content on the web to thrive and reach new audiences;
- Explore new ideas and concepts to further develop how Pocket’s recommendation products help people consume stories worthy of their time and attention.
What you already have:
- You possess superb editorial judgement and sensibilities;
- You’ve been working for 4+ years in content creation, editorial, moderation, or curation roles;
- You can both strategize and ideate at a very high level and “get your hands dirty” in the details to get things done;
- You have a sophisticated understanding of the evolving media landscape;
- You have top-notch display copy skills -- grounded in the understanding that framing a story is key for maximum reader engagement;
- You are someone with a natural curiosity and voracious appetite for high-quality stories, perspectives, and ideas.
What’s the team like?
We’re a remote-friendly team headquartered in San Francisco, with more than half of our colleagues working from home, co-working spaces, or Mozilla offices. Video conferencing, Slack chats, and shared documents keep everyone in the loop and make sure no one feels isolated. We value transparency and collaboration from the CEO on down.
As a subsidiary of Mozilla, we have the nimbleness of a small team with the resources of a large company, which means each teammate has the opportunity to make a big impact. But we also keep it real: our working hours are flexible—not just because we have team members in different time zones—but because we know you have a life outside the office, and we value that. You’re human, we’re human, and everyone at Pocket is treated with utmost respect.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment