Feel good about your work again
Senior Cryptography Engineer
Mozilla is seeking a Senior Cryptography Engineer to help with the development of new cryptography features for Mozilla products, and to aid in the support of our PSM and NSS security libraries that protect half a billion users around the globe. Our team is looking for a driven engineer who is knowledgeable in the area of cryptography and who is able to work in the open alongside a community of contributors. If you believe in the Mozilla mission, and can shoulder these responsibilities, we want to hear from you.
Responsibilities and Motivation
Be knowledgeable about cryptographic applications, and/or have the desire to learn about state-of-the-art cryptography.
Keep up-to-date with emerging cryptographic research, and stay informed and ahead of threats affecting our cryptography.
Have an understanding of the Web PKI, and its role in providing trust on the Web.
Help in the maintenance of Network Security Service (NSS) that powers Firefox (et. al.).
Help in the maintenance our Personal Security Manager (PSM) module, the layer between NSS and Firefox.
Lend your expertise to other parts of Mozilla in addressing security issues.
Involve our community in decision-making.
You will collaborate with researchers and engineers working in the areas of cryptography and network security.
There are a variety of paths to being successful in this position. Some specific points are below, but we're also open to alternate approaches to achieving the position's goals. Talented junior engineers with a willingness to learn are also encouraged to apply.
You have knowledge in the area of cryptography, and have possibly worked on teams that have built features or implemented algorithms for a cryptographic library.
You have some experience with security-critical programming.
Your C / C++ and scripting language skills are good, and you perhaps have an interest in, or desire to learn, Rust.
You believe that code doesn't exist unless it is tested, and that tests don't exist unless they are automated.
You are meticulous in your own software patches, and in reviewing patches from others.
You don't mind defending decisions in public.
You are passionate about improving user safety online via the use of cutting-edge cryptographic techniques, which may also include improving the state of the Web PKI.
You are comfortable digesting cryptography research, and potentially instigating new lines of research, should this be required.
Mozilla is a global organization, and this role is available in our Berlin office. You must have work authorization in Germany. We support flexible work hours, paid professional development, and have a wellness program that includes child care assistance.
If our team sounds like a good fit for you please send us your resume with a cover letter. Tell us about why you're interested in Mozilla and this position. If you contribute to any open source software, or maintain a blog, Twitter, or similar online presence, we'd love to hear about it.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Engineering: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment