Feel good about your work again
Staff Backend Engineer
- Emerging Markets
At Mozilla we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too.
Firefox Lite has become a trusted user-agent with content platform worthy of their time and attention. If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe we have challenges ahead that will excite you. We are looking to expand our team to help achieve our mission of advancing access to and discovery of high-quality, daily life content across the internet. If you are interested in building out the infrastructure and scaling our systems that allow people to focus and become more knowledgeable about the things that interest them, then Mozilla might be the place for you!
As a Backend software engineer, you work on a small team as our fast-paced business grows and evolves. We need our engineers to be versatile and passionate to tackle new problems as we continue to push the technology forward. You design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
As a Staff Backend Engineer at Mozilla, you will...
- Own large scale, fault tolerant, reliable and maintainable cloud based service infrastructure
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various system resources
- Profiling and performance tuning of critical components
- Deployment of new product features and installations to facilitate our rapid iteration and constant growth
- Communicate technical decisions through design docs, tech talks, and code reviews
- Participate in our agile processes, working towards, and contributing to, the goals and vision of our roadmap
- Collaborate with product, design, and business development teams to find innovative solutions to problems
- Play a lead role either in terms of technical development and architecture or in terms of team management
- Contribute towards improving engineering culture and approach
Your Professional Profile
- 6+ years experience in developing server side solutions
- Knowledge in how to write distributed, high-volume and highly available services
- Familiarity with TDD/BDD concepts and write well-tested code with CI/CD
- Deep understanding of system design, data structures, relational databases and NoSQL databases, able to select the architecture most suitable for each application
- Familiarity with industry security standards and best practices
- Good understanding of common internet protocols
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online. Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
Emerging Markets: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment