Feel good about your work again
Creative Technologist/Prototyper (SW & HW) - Portland, OR
- Emerging Technologies
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.
Come join Mozilla's Emerging Technologies team, Mozilla’s early research & development organization!
We're looking for a hardworking and capable Creative Technologist/Prototyper to support our projects delivering prototypes that can be used to demonstrate, test, and capture feedback on our concepts and design solutions from diverse audiences, including internal partners, end-users, developers, and collaborators.
If your passion is helping people, problem-solving, working in an environment that allows you to stretch your technological skillset providing users solutions, while supporting a mission that is driven to ensure the Internet is a global public resource open and accessible, then this is the right position for you!
Given the design and interactive nature of this position, you will need to be located in Portland, OR to easily join in person when necessary all design and creative activities.
Day to day you will...
- Plan, design and execute prototypes at different resolution levels - from sketches to paper prototypes, wireframes, click-through prototypes, hardware mockups, simulated physical interactions, interactive or coded, and Wizard of Oz experiences.
- Support the technical/prototyping side of all our UX research and design activities - to ensure all sessions and demos run efficiently
- Collaborate with engineers, researchers and designers to ensure a great user experience from design to implementation.
Your professional profile...
- 1-3 years of professional experience designing and building prototypes at various resolution levels.
- Portfolio with examples of sketching and lo-to-hi-fidelity prototypes, including examples of different modes and styles of interactions (e.g. web-based technologies, native applications, mobile interactions, digital/physical interactions)
- Proficient in design and rapid prototyping tools like Axure, Figma, InVision, Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite.
- You have a creative edge and an ability to build functional prototypes
- Design Systems experience/ability to follow design systems
- Generate Creative design ideas within a collaborative environment
- Self-starter who thrives on responsibility and accountability
- Flexible, efficient, and comfortable with ambiguity and able to move quickly from planning to execution
- Familiar with industry standards and trends in relation to UX prototyping
- Passionate about ethical and user-centered design
Extras (not required yet great plus)
- Experience with research on voice systems, augmented and/or virtual reality.
- Experience with machine learning or AI systems.
- Knowledge of RUST
- Knowledge of 3D development platforms (e.g. Unity)
- Understanding of accessibility standards.
- Experience in an open source environment.
- Experience working on a remote and distributed team.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Emerging Technologies: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment