Feel good about your work again
Engineering Manager, GeckoView (Contract) - Remote US or Canada
- Remote US
Duration: 6-month Contract Position
Location: Remote in the United States or Canada
We are looking for a short term manager for the GeckoView team who can be both a people manager and an effective project manager, who will draw upon their management and technical experience to help individuals on the team advance in their careers while shipping excellent software.
You’ll be leading a team of hardworking software engineers while working with the senior manager of the Firefox mobile engineering group and coordinating collaboration with interdependent teams.
Responsibility includes the completion of major initiatives on clear timelines and ensuring the software your team delivers is of high quality and is maintainable. This also includes developing and communicating the roadmap, scope, and risks of your team’s projects to leadership.
- You have a strong interest in leading a mobile engineering team, and learning about building an embeddable browser engine, and related technologies
- You are excited by successfully shipping software projects that meet our users' needs
- You have experience developing software which will help you with issue triage, prioritization, and execution
- You enjoy helping team members and colleagues grow and get better at what they do
- You are happy to provide and receive constructive feedback; when you see a chance to improve something, you act on it.
- You have experience participating in product and strategy planning and can communicate effectively with other functions, such as product and project managers.
- You are not afraid to ask questions and propose new ideas if you think they will make a positive impact
- You have strong written and verbal English skills.
The GeckoView Team
We are a distributed software development team of 7 mobile platform engineers. Our focus is on bringing the powerful Firefox web browser engine *gecko* onto the Android mobile platform.
Our team is distributed across various time zones in Europe and the US with everyone working remotely from their homes. We use chat, video conferencing, shared documents, and email to communicate.
Work-life balance is important to us, and we respect family time and weekends. Sometimes we work longer hours to respond to high priority needs such as security incidents, but we work hard to make that an exception and not the rule.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.the
Engineering: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, Beijing, and Taipei
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs — we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment