- Product Operations
- Remote Canada, Remote US
About Hubs and Hubs Cloud
Hubs is a virtual communications platform that allows groups of people to meet, work or play together in a web-based, 3D environment, embodied in avatars, with access to a rich set of tools and media. At its core, Hubs consists of a set of real time services that use conventional web application server technologies, websockets and WebRTC for voice and video communication. Our stack runs on AWS, using a combination of infrastructure tools including Terraform, Ansible, and Chef Habitat. Primary services are built on top of the Erlang VM (via Elixir), Node.js and PostgreSQL.
Hubs Cloud is a product offering that allows our customers to spin up their own Hubs stack via the AWS Marketplace. Hubs Cloud stacks are independent instances of Hubs, fully controlled by each customer. However, our unique use of the Marketplace, in combination with AWS Cloudformation and Habitat, allows us to update the software on these independent stacks as we continue to improve Hubs. Hubs Cloud represents a new way of offering cloud solutions, as an alternative to conventional SaaS, that gives users control of their data and systems while providing a path for continuous software delivery. In addition to offering Hubs Cloud as a product, we will be using it internally to run our own experiments as we explore new use cases for Hubs.
Our stack is open source! You can browse through it here: https://github.com/mozilla/hubs-ops
Mozilla’s Hubs Team is looking for Senior Infrastructure Engineers to help us build and maintain the infrastructure that supports Hubs’ various offerings, including Hubs Cloud. We're looking for a self-motivated engineer who has a passion for building and scaling secure infrastructure leveraging cloud technologies. You’ll combine skills from DevOps, SRE, systems administration, and software development to influence product architecture and evolution by crafting reliable cloud-based infrastructure for internal and external services. Every engineer has input into our product process and will have a real impact as part of a small, nimble team.
In our infrastructure Git repos, you’ll design, maintain, improve, and review automation, scripts, and monitoring code.
As a senior product infrastructure engineer at Mozilla, you will…
- Refine our Hubs Cloud infrastructure as we continue to offer it to customers and also iterate it on internally as our platform for use-case experimentation.
- Shape the future of Hubs Cloud, as we explore the boundaries with possible alternatives to the SaaS model.
- Design, maintain and improve automation and monitoring tools
- Use industry-standard and internally developed tools to configure and manage services run in AWS
- Foster a DevOps culture by creating tools to enable product developer self-service access, at velocity, for infrastructure creation and management.
- Provide infrastructure expertise, guidance, and education to product development teams
- Technical leadership for quarterly initiatives and projects
- Collaborate with agile developer and QA teams to troubleshoot and improve services essential to Hubs
- Architect, write, maintain, and review infrastructure code
- Collaborate on GitHub with teammates and developers
Your Professional Profile
- 5+ years of experience related to software development and operations
- Proficiency leading collaboration with software development teams
- Experience with Chef Habitat, Ansible, Terraform, Packer and Jenkins is a plus
- Extensive experience designing and administering cloud infrastructure in AWS, including knowledge of CloudFormation
- Experience with assessing and solving security concerns at an infrastructure and service level
- Experience designing and implementing a CI/CD strategy
- Expertise using configuration management to manage servers
- Skill at writing libraries and tools in a scripting language
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Elixir, and Phoenix is a plus
As our team works across multiple areas, you should be curious and interested in learning new things. We are excited to see any additional experience with:
- Product ownership or development
- Database administration
- Open source software involvement
- Network architecture and administration
- Web application design and development
- 3D application development
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice