Feel good about your work again
Common Voice Community Manager
- Mozilla Foundation
- Berlin, Remote Canada, Remote Germany, Remote UK, Remote US, Toronto
The Mozilla Foundation is a California nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. We believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online.
20 years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology are more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means two things human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated and corporate accountability is real and enforced. To foster this effort, we are exploring projects that invite the public to make ‘data donations’ that help create trustworthy AI.
Most significantly, this includes the Common Voice project, which aims to shape the future of voice AI, with a particular focus on Project Common Voice. This project seeks to build openly available datasets for training machine learning driven voice technologies. The core of this project is a platform that supports language communities and individual volunteers to “donate their voice” to an open dataset, which anyone can then download for commercial or non-commercial use. Common Voice has had 350,000 people donate or validate voice samples to date!
This role will provide an opportunity to build out the next phase of the Common Voice project which includes:
- Developing partnerships and improving the platform to help us scale both languages contributing to Common Voice and
- Developing new communities for new languages (with an immediate focus on Kiswahili). Play a key role in developing and planning our long term aspirations in the data donation space
Read more about Mozilla's Common Voice and underserved languages here:
All of this work will have a tie-in to Mozilla’s emerging Data Futures Lab initiative:
What you’ll do
We are looking for a resourceful Common Voice Community Manager to build and support our community on the Common Voice platform and foster the development of a broader set of Mozilla data donation efforts! The ideal candidate will have experience working in agile teams with developers and designers, a strong desire to improve the experience for members of the public who want to donate their data, and contribute to trustworthy AI. They will be able to develop and improve upon community communications. They have experience facilitating product processes from meetings and documentation, to effort estimation and the maintenance of implementation timelines.
You will be an integral part of the Foundation Common Voice project team, taking the lead on building and supporting the 350,000+ Common Voice community members globally.
- Being the voice of the Common Voice community, and sharing feedback with the product team on key community needs
- Supporting new language communities to set up on Common Voice
- Developing tools and workflows that allows the community to be as self-sustaining as possible (such as building out the Common Voice Community Playbook
- Ensure the growth and health of the Common Voice community, including developing metrics framework for the community
- Supporting a Kiswahili language community, alongside three amazing Community Fellows
- Supporting the Kiswahili tech community, alongside an outstanding Machine Learning Fellow, with a goal of encouraging adoption and implementation of voice technology.
The Common Voice Discourse board is a public discussion forum for questions and concerns about the Common Voice project, hosted as part of Mozilla’s overall Discourse instance.
Common Voice also has several rooms as part of Mozilla’s Matrix instance, for the purposes of real-time chatting with both the Common Voice team as well as other community members. The main room can be found here, and there are satellite rooms for other languages.
The Community Manager will work with a small team comprising engineers, product managers, UX/UI designers, and other community managers embedded within Mozilla Foundation’s existing online engagement team, along with engineers, designers, and product managers from partner organizations who are deeply embedded in running and growing the Common Voice project.
What you bring
- Experience building and supporting online communities with a focus on community engagement or data collection
- Expert with engaging those target communities, including creating updates, soliciting feedback, translating feedback into impactful features, and more
- Innovative and original ideas for building and implementing technologies with a targeted local context
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner to achieve agreed goals and outcomes
- Given this work crosses teams and involves outside collaborators, you will bring strong interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills, and can influence across multiple internal and external partner groups
- Can work on a diverse and geographically distributed team, including being predominantly independent and autonomous cross-culturally
- Ability to nurture an open and analytical culture, including strong affinity for metrics
- Strong communicator and influencer, both in writing and verbally
For Bonus Points:
- Experience with linguistics, language, and/or artificial intelligence, and have a passion for under-resourced languages
- Some experience in bringing value to open source projects and mentoring/supporting contributors
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Mozilla Foundation: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice