Feel good about your work again
Senior Manager, Compensation & Benefits
- People & Organizational Development
- Portland Office
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protect users and alerts them of risks.
The Senior Manager Compensation & Benefits is responsible for leading the strategic design and development of innovative, market-competitive, efficient, and effective base pay, incentive compensation, executive compensation, and total rewards programs. The successful candidate will need to dive deeply into the daily operations of Mozilla’s Compensation and benefits programs upon joining, with key focus on cross functional upskilling of the current team and then transition to more strategic Total Rewards program design over time.
The world has changed. Some people are staying put, while others are packing up and moving. As a remote-ready organization, Mozilla is here for all of them. From a perspective of globalizing where we can, and regionalizing where it makes sense, you will be a strategic partner with Business and People Team leadership to develop, recommend and ensure the successful evolution of our Total Rewards strategies globally. You should have a deep understanding of HR technology and experience implementing global total rewards programs, tools, and processes. You are also deeply interested in the employee value proposition and how total rewards, including health and wellness, can uplift the employee experience.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the development of strategic total rewards programs that enable the attraction, development, and retention of exceptional talent
- Partner with People Ops on all global compensation processes (base and variable pay, merit, promotions, semi-annual bonuses, etc.)
- Ensure global compensation surveys participation and establish regular market benchmarking processes that inform the competitiveness of total pay across the organization
- Bring current and emerging market trends to our workforce planning strategy, identifying potential opportunities and gaps in our Total Rewards program
- Design Total Rewards initiatives that are aligned to Mozilla's global principles, and provide flexibility and local customization to account for cultural and market differences
- Drive the identification, assessment, and execution of ongoing compensation process and program improvement, including building a cross functional Total Rewards team
- Provide subject matter expertise and accurately interpret, counsel, communicate, and educate HR Business Partners, managers, and executives on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretations, and job evaluations
- Ensure internal and external offers effectively attract and retain highly sought-after talent, including executives, balancing recruiting objectives with internal equity and budget considerations
- Partner with the Legal and Finance teams to craft, update, communicate and disclose compensation plans
- Maintain compliance with all applicable country and state regulations governing global compensation programs
- Support and present to the Board of Directors compensation committee on relevant matters.
What You Bring
- BA/BS degree (Business, Finance, Economics, or Accounting preferred) and 12+ years of relevant experience
- Proven global compensation experience in the following areas: executive compensation, base salary, market pricing, variable pay and performance management, job evaluation, data analysis, research, and cost modeling
- Deep knowledge of compensation and benefits practices across the Americas, European, and Australasia regions
- Excellent project management, organizational, and time-management skills, with demonstrated end-to-end project management experience
- Experience handling shifting priorities and multitasking in a deadline-oriented environment. Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced, complex environment
- Highly adept in critical and conceptual thinking skills, combined with the ability to synthesize information to see the big picture while successfully managing the details
- Ability to meet independently with executive leaders and present to them with confidence, impact, and influence
- Experience bringing diverse groups together to gain consensus
- Experienced at consolidating, analyzing, and deciphering disparate data, and telling compelling stories to help drive decision making
- Demonstrable track record of identifying problems and using strategic skills to drive appropriate solutions
- Experience with vendor selection and RFPs
- Experience with Workday preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal, written, and presentation)
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
People & Organizational Development: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice