Feel good about your work again
Staff Software Engineer
- Portland Office, Remote Canada, Remote Germany, Remote San Francisco Bay Area , Remote Toronto/Vancouver Area, Remote US, San Francisco Office, Toronto Office
Mozilla is committed to ensuring the Web is a global, public resource accessible to all. Localizing Firefox and other Mozilla projects in as many languages as possible is a core component of this mission. Our dedicated and talented global community is the driving force behind Mozilla localization. The localization effort consists of around a thousand volunteer contributors with a real passion for breaking down language barriers on the Web. Gathered in around 100 language-specific, volunteer communities, they create localizations for the 60% of Firefox users that don't speak English.
As a Staff Localization Engineer, you will push the localization industry forward around our Fluent project technology by developing standards, tools, and processes that promote multilingualism, and interoperable, open source localization platforms. You will also be one of the primary points of interaction between Mozilla and the global localization community.
If you meet the following criteria and are excited by working with Mozilla in this capacity, please apply!
- Experience in language design, including parsing and AST tooling.
- Deep understanding of runtime issues within localization ecosystems.
- Experience with platform-specific localization and internationalization technology (e.g., mobile, Windows, Mac, etc.).
- Deep understanding of modern translation technology and standards.
- Experience with working with standards body working groups.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Ability and passion for working in the open and engaging with Mozilla’s global community.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a second language.
- Advanced skills with React and Rust.
- Strong skills in debugging web-based code, reading and writing technical specifications.
- Experience in parallel programming, in-process, multi-process or distributed.
- Experience with building web apps and software for global audiences.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Location Details: Mozilla’s North American office locations include San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR, and Toronto, Canada. We also have offices in Berlin, Germany and Paris. We are open to you working from your home office anywhere in the US, Canada, Germany or the UK for this position.
Firefox: Open Positions
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice