- Berlin, Germany
Mozilla is looking for a Firefox Student Worker to join our Cryptographic Engineering team for a one year fixed term contract to help us protect people as they experience the Internet. This position is only open to people currently enrolled in an academic institution in Germany. The academic institution here could be a trade school, a university, or a community college.
Most of us were students at one point, so we understand the pressures of day-to-day course loads, as such, we are committed to providing you flexible working hours and competitive compensation depending on the number of hours you're able to work with us.
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators worldwide, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protect users and alerts them of risks.
Are you passionate about Firefox and building the open Web? Are you looking to make a positive impact on the world through your contributions to an open Web? Do you want the Web to be more secure by bringing state of the art security features to everyone? Then this role is for you!
Your Professional Profile
- You have basic knowledge of cryptography concepts.
- You speak English fluently and enjoy conducting software engineering work in the open.
- You are knowledgeable about or are motivated and eager to learn the core web technologies and associated web security.
- You are enrolled in a university in or around Berlin and are available to come to our Berlin office during regular working hours (when offices reopen) depending on your schedule.
You will help us to improve the security of Firefox and the web in general. We offer flexible working hours and competitive compensation depending on the number of hours.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunities and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice