- US Remote, Canada Remote
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
As our new Front End Web Developer in Mozilla Corporation’s marketing department, you will build elegant, open web sites that make the web more inclusive for millions of people around the globe. You will be a trusted source, willing to speak up, have a good team attitude, and be comfortable with minimal direction and rapidly shifting priorities.
This position will join a remote team that contributes to an open Internet by building and maintaining websites and web experiences for Mozilla.
Sound exciting? Send us a brief cover letter and resume highlighting how you fit the following:
What You'll Get To Do
- Work efficiently without close supervision and be self-motivated.
- Solve problems with new technologies and showcase developing technologies in your work.
- Sketch diagrams and visualizations for your technical solutions.
- Provide accurate time estimates for engineering tasks.
- Take pride in writing reusable, readable and pragmatic code.
- Receive and process feedback.
- Perform constructive code reviews.
- Communicate positively with the larger Mozilla community.
What You Bring
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2 – 4 years of web development experience
- Deep understanding of UX and progressive enhancement, responsive design & design systems, and accessibility
Bonus points for
- 1 – 2 years of experience with programming languages like Python, PHP or Ruby
- Experience with template tools, like Jinja2, Django, etc
- Experience working with localization and global communities
- Experience working on high-traffic websites
- Experience using an issue tracking system (like Github & Bugzilla) to track tasks
- Experience with front-end build tooling such as NPM, Webpack, Gulp.
- Experience using a front-end templating library or framework, such as React.
- Experience building and/or working with a design system and component library.
- An understanding of web performance optimization, measurement, and tooling.
- Experience writing unit tests and automated functional tests.
- Experience with quantitative testing methodologies and tooling.
- Experience with web analytics, such as Google Analytics.
- Experience working in a distributed team that works across multiple timezones.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice