- Core Product-Firefox
- Remote US, Remote Canada
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
The Contextual Services engineering team is passionate about helping Firefox users find their way on the Web by solving complex, unique, and fun Information Storage and Aggregation puzzles. We help our users get to the right information, in the right context at the right time with less effort, and we are the team responsible for making the things you see in the browser work securely, quickly, and reliably.
We’re a part of the Mozilla Firefox team; our community of engineers is geographically-distributed, and working in the open is the norm. We contribute to the code driving Firefox browser services using Python and Rust.Our focus is on implementing and fixing things in Firefox as well as helping other teams make it excellent for our users.
As a Senior Software Engineer for Contextual Services, you can expect to write code to support new Firefox search services, as well as maintain existing core browser web services such as Sync and Push. If you are looking to make an impact on the Firefox browser, and enjoy building new services from the ground up, we’d love to hear from you.
- Design and build a system that is robust and scalable, together with a multidisciplinary team, to make the web a better place.
- Learn about a wide variety of problems and drive solutions across a large, mature code base.
- Help educate engineers on other teams through code reviews, giving talks, and/or writing documentation.
- Work with driven, committed team members to bring the open web to people around the world.
What You Bring
- You’re comfortable reading and writing Python and shell scripts.
- You have experience building systems at scale.
- You have the ability to easily switch contexts and work on several projects at the same time.
- You have an interest in and ability to work with a distributed team (which requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills in English).
- You are happy to provide and receive constructive feedback; when you see a chance to improve something, you act on it.
- You know how to approach an existing code base and improve its architecture through small, planned interventions.
Bonus points for
- Experience working with Actix Web, distributed databases (specifically Google Cloud Spanner, DynamoDB, Bigtable) and AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
- Unafraid of asking questions, and proposing new ideas if you think they will make a positive impact.
- A love of helping your colleagues grow and get better at what they do.
- We value a variety of voices on the Contextual Services Engineering Team and at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice