- Remote US, Remote Canada, Remote Germany
Why Mozilla Engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The Firefox Security Engineering team at Mozilla is looking for recent graduates up to senior level engineers to join us in our mission to build a better Internet. Are you a curious software developer who is passionate about learning and working collaboratively with a worldwide open source community? If so, we’d love to speak with you about coming to work at Mozilla where you can use your talents and initiative to help make Firefox the best web browser on desktop and mobile devices!
In this role, you will be a core team member working to improve Firefox platform security for the benefit of users and web developers alike. You’ll work in the open and have frequent contact with collaborators around the world. Day-to-day tasks will include writing code, tests, and specifications as well as building prototypes, solving problems, analyzing data, and most importantly learning new skills that will enable you to become an even stronger engineer. Do you want to know more?
You’ll be responsible for:
- Maintain and add enhancements to Mozilla’s Network Security Service (NSS) cryptographic library that powers Firefox (et. al.).
- Occasionally help in the maintenance of the Personal Security Manager (PSM) module, the layer between NSS and Firefox.
- Keep up-to-date with emerging cryptographic research, and stay informed and ahead of threats affecting our cryptography.
- Working with multi-disciplinary teams to implement entirely new features.
- Analyzing performance problems in the security modules to identify areas that need improvement.
- Synthesizing bug reports into actionable tasks.
- Ensuring Firefox aligns with relevant standards and works with real websites.
Your professional profile:
If your background is not an exact match but you feel like this position may be a good fit for you, please apply. We value a diverse skill set, but we explicitly don't care about the path you've taken to get here.
- Knowledge and interest in web security and cryptography.
- Strong software development in C and C++.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- The desire and ability to create excellent documentation.
- Motivation to learn new tools and techniques for improving existing software.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience.
Things that might set you apart from other applicants:
- Familiarity with one or more of the following areas:
- Multi-threaded systems
- Performance analysis and optimization
- A history of working with distributed teams
- Experience working with a large codebase
We are hiring for a number of roles so specific expertise or experience isn’t required. An interest in learning new techniques, tools, and skills with a curiosity to read lots of existing code is critical to success. You will pair with local mentors while collaborating with a distributed team and the worldwide Mozilla community. There will be some travel for working face-to-face with colleagues and career growth through conferences and ongoing learning opportunities will be provided. You’ll work hard, but we think you’ll love every minute of it!
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice