- Remote US, Remote Canada, Germany Remote, UK Remote
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
Your job as an engineer in the marketing department at Mozilla Corporation will allow you to create elegant, open web applications and make the web more inclusive for millions of people around the globe. You will be a trusted source, willing to speak up, have a good team attitude, and be comfortable with minimal direction and rapidly shifting priorities.
You will join a small focused team that develops and runs critical large-scale applications and websites, seen by over eight million people every day. In this role you will work alongside front end engineers, site reliability engineers, creative and product teams. Your workplace can be remote. Best of all, your career knowledge will deepen with access to some of the best developers and research in the industry.
Sound exciting? Send us a brief cover letter and resume highlighting how you fit the following:
What You'll Get To Do
- Develop solutions to a wide range of technical problems.
- Use cloud technology in AWS and GCP to build highly scalable services.
- Investigate new technologies and showcase developing technologies in your work.
- Perform constructive code reviews, provide guidance to other developers and contributors.
- Communicate positively with the Mozilla community.
- Write tests, documentation and invest time towards the maintainability of your work.
- Understand and advise on web application scalability and performance.
- Work authoritatively without close supervision and be self-motivated.
- Take pride in writing reusable, readable and pragmatic code.
What You Bring
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or 5 years prior relevant experience.
- Highly experienced in back-end web development and DevOps/SRE standard methodologies in a professional capacity, preferably on a high-volume site or web application.
- Expertise hosting cloud applications on AWS and/or GCP.
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Expertise with continuous deployment and integration using Docker, AWS (Route53, S3, CloudFront, RDS, IAM, etc.), and Kubernetes.
- Comfortable working with Git & GitHub.
Bonus points for
- Experience coding with Python/Django for a high-volume website.
- Experience designing, building, and using web-based REST APIs.
- Prior experience with Scrum/Agile/Kanban or similar development methodology.
- Ability to work productively on a remote, geographically distributed team.
- Ability to provide guidance, coaching and training with other members of the team.
- Ability to manage major/complex infrastructure projects across teams and departments.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- Comfort communicating with multi-functional teams.
- A systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice