- Core Product-Security
- US Remote, Canada Remote
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
Are you passionate about protecting people’s privacy on the Internet? Does the thought of building and shipping products that can be used by anyone on Internet excite you? Can you empower your team to achieve success by creating structure and driving priorities?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Privacy and Security product team at Mozilla. We build comprehensive full-stack software like Mozilla VPN, Firefox Monitor, Relay, and Containers. We are a vanguard protecting people on the internet. We embody the Mozilla manifesto principle: individuals' security & privacy are fundamental and must not be treated as optional..
What You’ll Get To Do
- Lead a geographically distributed team of software engineers building our VPN services and other privacy products
- Ensure that the software your team delivers is high quality, measurable, and maintainable
- Work collaboratively with many teams including product, UX, QA, operations, and data
- Develop and communicate the roadmap, scope, and risks of your team’s projects
- Mentor, coach, and provide feedback to your team members for their career development
What You Bring
- 6 years of overall relevant work experience in software development with at least 3 years of people management experience
- Proven track record of successfully leading teams and shipping desktop software projects
- Proficiency with software development practices for issue triage, prioritization, and execution
- Ability to take initiative in a loosely structured environment to guide your team to success
- Experience handling geographically-distributed team members with different skill sets from your own
- Effective and persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Experience in one or more of the following areas
- Software development in C++
- Shipping privacy and security applications
- Standard methodologies in software security and threat modeling
- Benchmarking and performance sensitive design
- Knowledge of the modern web platform.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. We expect everyone on our team to be interested in learning new technologies and motivated to grow their skill set.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice