- Remote Canada, Remote US
The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
20 years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web; today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
Our Strategic Operations team is seeking an Incoming Grants Manager for a fixed-term of five months. Reporting to the Director of Operations, you will oversee all incoming grants management. In partnership with the finance, program and fundraising teams, you will manage all facets of the incoming grants process, from pre-award proposals to post- award and award closeout administration. You will be a key advisor of all grants management issues including legal and compliance as well as processes and policies and the development of grants budgets. The position works closely across multiple teams at the Foundation as well as being a close partner to the other key member of the grants management team who manages the Foundation’s outgoing grants.
- Collaborate with the fundraising and program teams to respond to funding opportunities, including developing and reviewing proposal budgets that meet funder and Mozilla’s guidelines, compiling required financial-related attachments and enclosures, and identifying and assembling appropriate organizational supporting materials.
- Review proposals and consult with legal and finance teams to ensure that the proposed project conforms with Mozilla policies and funder guidelines.
- Facilitate review and approval of grant agreements and amendments with legal, finance, and program teams.
Post-Award & Closeout Administration
Work closely with the program and finance teams to:
- Oversee the tracking and monitoring of grant budget versus actual expenditures to ensure expense charges are allowable, allocable and reasonable.
- Support decision-making on grant expenses in consultation with the finance team, interpreting whether an expense is appropriate and allowable within the grant framework, budget, goals and general conditions.
Other responsibilities and tasks include:
- Coordinate and support all aspects of the grant reporting process for approximately 10 to 15 financial and programmatic reports over the 5-month period including the review of report narratives, completion of financial reports, and submission of all required report materials by funder deadlines.
- Collaborate with program, fundraising, finance and legal teams to provide technical support and resolve grants management issues.
- Update and manage organization of all shared electronic and hard-copy grants files on a regular basis.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years of grants management administration experience for incoming grants.
- Experience working on a wide variety of incoming grants including those from U.S. government agencies and private/corporate foundations.
- Highly proficient with developing budgets and proposals for medium and large-sized grants (six figures or higher).
- Strong comfort with fund accounting concepts and GAAP.
- Strong understanding of grants-related legal and compliance requirements.
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to multitask.
- Comfortable working with globally dispersed cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to efficiently and concisely deal with several partners both internally and externally.
- Experience working with software platforms including strong Excel and/or Google Sheet skills.
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we are hiring for this position are listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Canada: $85,386 - $104,373 (mid-point: $94,884)
- US: $80,293 - $98,136 (mid-point: $89,214)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting.
- Toronto: $92,131 - $112,618 (mid-point: $102,380)
- New York: $88,965 - $108,735 (mid-point: $98,849)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits for our staff:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.Group: C
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice