- Core Product-Firefox
- Remote US, Remote Canada
The Mozilla Firefox Media and Graphics Teams are a community of engineers who care deeply about the visual experience of using the browser. These teams are responsible for areas of our software platform that handle rendering of the browser, audio and video coding and playback, and video conferencing support. Are you a highly technical and effective engineering leader who loves collaborating with smart, committed engineers to help bring the Open Web to millions of people? We'd love to hear from you!
As a Media and Graphics Manager at Mozilla, you will be involved in leading a team of engineers who design and develop the underpinnings of our rendering and media pipelines. As the face of Mozilla's management structure, you will help define and deliver on the team's commitments to Mozilla while also delivering on Mozilla's commitments to your team.
We’re seeking an Engineering Manager who will:
- Focus on results, and build a team that helps you deliver them
- Lead and mentor geographically distributed team members
- Engage regularly with team members to discuss both technical work and professional development and provide direct and honest feedback about their individual performances
- Perform semi-annual performance evaluations, make salary recommendations, and address performance problems when necessary
- Coordinate and collaborate in scoping new initiatives
- Provide technical mentoring during development of new initiatives
- Coordinate the transformation of the web via the development of our standards positions and implementations
- Collaborate with product and program managers to prioritize features, assign work across your team according to their abilities, and problem-solve to deliver results
- Provide the best, most realistic schedule estimates given the information available, learn and improve from every project you lead, and show by example the importance of delivering on time and beyond expectations
- Take initiative in a loosely structured environment, provide leadership and inspire collaboration to lead to success
- Initiate discussions with your peer managers at Mozilla and with our partners regarding changes to the Web Platform & assist your team in their interactions with other teams in Mozilla and the Mozilla community
- Be rewarded with growth and leadership opportunities for strong performance as well as the personal satisfaction of knowing you are championing the Open Web we depend on
- 2+ years engineering management experience with shipping software at scale, or a strong interest in transitioning toward management as an IC
- Prior experience as a software developer, ideally in C/C++ or Rust
- Prior experience with high-performance rendering systems and/or audio/video concepts
- Experience with the W3C standards development process a plus
- Experience with working remotely
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice