- Berlin Office, Remote Germany, Remote France, Remote UK
Are you a lawyer looking for a fun and rewarding challenge? At Mozilla our mission is to foster the value of the internet as a global public resource through a variety of open source products and technologies, including the Firefox web browser. As our first dedicated competition counsel you will get to shape global internet policy from the unique viewpoint of a transparent, participatory, and open source project. You’ll do a little bit of everything: from representing Mozilla externally, collaborating with our internal teams, managing outside counsel, and amplifying our positions through advocacy, policy and legal channels.
Responsibilities:In your role, you will:
- Join a small legal team—and the global Mozilla project—comprised of individuals passionate about our work and mission.
- Oversee our engagement in a variety of complex global competition issues.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and external allies on the intersection of global competition, privacy, and internet regulation.
- Learn the intricacies of internet architecture, browsers, operating systems, standards, interoperability, and more.
- A minimum of eight years of broad regulatory experience in a government agency, law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Direct experience representing clients before global privacy, competition, or consumer protection agencies.
- Experience working with a wide range of policy-making and regulatory bodies.
- High fluency in competition law, internet policy and regulation, and digital technology.
- Ability to quickly learn new technical spaces.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a strong sense of organization and attention to detail.
- J.D. degree and membership in a U.S. state bar with good standing, or foreign equivalent.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice