- Data Organization
- Remote US, Remote Canada
At Mozilla, we want to protect the Internet as a global resource, open and accessible to all. We collect terabytes of data a day from millions of users to guide our decision-making. We could use your help.
As a manager on the data science team, you will own a critical piece of the Mozilla organization. Data scientists work closely with our policy, legal, and business development teams to enable decisions and contribute insights that push our mission forward and in the right direction. They build models and design experiments that improve our understanding about the operation of our business and products to ensure that we are optimizing our decisions for maximum impact on the market. We are looking for an opinionated manager with technical chops who is excited to marshal a data science team to shape the future of the Web. You will manage a small team of data scientists and will be responsible for career mentorship and technical guidance. You will work with leadership to define and execute strategies that demonstrate the value of the data contributed by our users while maintaining an ethical set of principles to guide your practice.
As a data science manager...
- You are comfortable steering a team of 2-7 data scientists to align with business priorities, legal and policy agendas, and Mozilla’s greater mission.
- You pride yourself on your ability to communicate technical concepts to diverse audiences across Mozilla.
- You define requirements for data scientists to other parts of the Mozilla organization.
- You collaborate with cross-functional management to create new initiatives and refine existing processes that increase the impact of the data science team.
- You possess a strategic mindset and find motivation in creatively solving problems.
- You establish best practices for data science workflows and know how to create an environment and team culture that enables data scientists to perform at their best.
- You have a strong desire to contribute to Mozilla’s mission through data science.
Your professional profile
- Up to 3 years of industry experience in the data science (or related) profession and up to 1 year of experience managing data scientists or other similar management experience. It is fine that you may be relatively early in your career, and we appreciate the expectation that you will grow in this role.
- You have experience with a breadth of analytical methodologies and possess a solid foundation in numerous statistical techniques.
- You also have experience with common data science technologies, namely SQL, Python, or R, as well as familiarity with conventional code and programming concepts.
- You have strong communication skills; experience speaking at industry or academic conferences a plus.
- You consider contributing to a collaborative and open team culture an important responsibility.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice