Director of CommunicationsApply for this job
- Mountain View, San Francisco
Mozilla is looking for a Director of Communications to lead our comms team, responsible for sharing Mozilla’s unique stories and amazing products with the world.
In this role, you will manage outreach and media strategy to maximize coverage and impact for our products (Firefox browser and other products). You will also be working to make the Internet more inclusive, open and healthy by advancing our media strategy on copyright reform, patent reform, Web inclusion, and other key initiatives backing Mozilla’s core values and goals. On the product side you will manage product launches, cutting edge technology (AR/VR, next-gen game apps, security tools). On the advocacy side, you will help contribute to visionary and creative campaigns to spin great stories and change the world.
You’ll lead a global network of PR agencies as well as our growing community of smart volunteer PR contributors to share our stories in creative and engaging ways.
You should have an extensive PR background; messaging and media relations savvy are required. If you have a journalism background, that is wonderful. This position will report to the Vice President of Marcom.
As Director of Communications at Mozilla, you will:
- Set a data-driven strategy for global comms, built processes to execute that strategy, and develop a team of talented comms people
- Work closely with social, events and editorial teams to both execute complex campaigns and take advantage of serendipitous opportunities
- Help us do a better job pushing our message into mainstream channels in online, print, television, and podcasts
- Identify trends and possible proactive pitches and predict reactive statements as needed
- Support our policy and product teams on major launches, product and corporate campaigns and activities
Your Professional Profile
- 5+ years relevant experience
- 1-2 years minimum of journalism experience
- Excellent writing and social communication skills
- Strong character, ethics, attention to detail and a high standard of performance
- Prior experience leading communications teams
- Mix of in-house and agency experience is helpful
- Experience working with open source communities, policy, consumer technology and/or developer communities also a plus
- Foreign language (Spanish, German) helpful
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.