Director, Technology Trends & InsightsApply for this job
- Emerging Technologies
- Mountain View
The target location for this position is in our Mountain View or San Francisco offices. Remote in North America is an option.
Overview of the Need
Mozilla’s Emerging Technology group needs to provide a reference for Mozilla on the top technology trends and market forces occurring now and in the expected future, together with a point of view on what Mozilla thinks about the trends, status on activities in Mozilla corporation & the Mozilla community related to those trends, and recommendations on any course of action Mozilla should take.
To deliver this new capability, Mozilla needs a lead for this function who is capable of handling multiple projects at a time. You will drive all aspects of technology industry insights partnering with specialists in particular problem domains, as well as consulting industry analysts and recognized internal authorities, to deliver overviews of emerging technology industries, and to produce more detailed investment hypotheses and business cases to invest (e.g. track; new experiments, research, or advanced development; work with other orgs/individuals), that result in informed decision making to invest, or not to invest, in new areas.
In the role, you will tackle issues such as:
- Trends in our industry, from nascent to mega-trends
- Relevance of specific trends and path for Mozilla to engage
- Assessment of Mozilla's capabilities and preparedness
- The class of problems Mozilla aims to solve
- Communicating trends and insights to SCVP & the larger Mozilla community
- Work with strategic teams within Mozilla to directly impact resource investments
You will be responsible for building and maintaining a taxonomy of all areas of potential inquiry to Mozilla from developments in advanced mathematics to robotics to smart cities. You will also own jointly prioritizing and delivering industry overviews on new spaces for the organization. Within the context of these prioritized areas, you will be responsible for researching more deeply specific investment hypotheses, and ultimately, in creating business cases to invest in new explorations or in new product concepts.
Your industry research will include:
- Key components of a new technology
- Complexity Maturity (short-long term 1=10 years)
- Architecture, Interfaces
- Potential disruptive elements
- Key use cases
- Impact of openness
While your analysis of specific hypotheses and business cases will cover areas such as:
- Investment required
- Market maturity
- Target markets
- Business model
- Potential partners
- Customer value propositions
- Understanding of related Mozilla projects
- Competitive analysis
- Competitive advantages for Mozilla
- Sustainable advantages for Mozilla
- Brand fit
- Strategic fit
- Tech Transfer Path
You will interface directly with many parties, including:
- Emerging Technologies Strategist
- Emerging Technologies People & Practices Lead Internal subject matter experts
- Emerging technologies research leadership
- External vendors (in particular, industry analysts and commentators) Business development
- Mozilla’s strategic planning function
- Mozilla’s Open Innovation team
- Technical qualifications: minimum bachelors in a technical field, graduate degree in a business field, or equivalent experience
- Advanced consumer tech and Internet industry knowledge
- Demonstrable analytical skills: able to absorb a large amount of information and synthesise main themes
- Market strategy skills: you should understand industry dynamics and be able to articulate them to others
- Advanced business literacy: you should be familiar with a variety of business modeling techniques
- Excellent written communications: your work needs to be quickly digestible.
- Ability to work in a geographically distributed team
- Time management: you need to deliver reports predictable to meet the cadence of executive decision making
The team is Emerging Technologies and it reports to SVP, Emerging Technologies.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.