Creative Lead, Copywriter (contract)Apply for this job
- San Francisco
Mozilla is in a category of one: a global technology non-profit super-powered by a worldwide
community of volunteers, with a mission to keep the Internet fair and accessible to everyone.
We drive impact by building great products and services that give people more control to
explore the full potential of their online lives, and empower them with technology, know-how and
opportunities to advance the open Web.
Mozilla is unlike any other technology company in its approach to growth. We are both
entrepreneurial and focused on social benefit. We disrupt stale and imbalanced markets by
placing people ahead of profits and advocating for shared standards that put the Internet user
first. Few in number, we depend on our wits and passion to advance our products and drive
The Mozilla creative team is quick to adapt, whether to agile marketing methods or the latest
digital design tools, and uses its passion and wits to define Mozilla and Firefox as distinct
brands. Working closely with brand, product, social, community, and communications marketing
groups, you will seek ways for our brands to be different through storytelling and design,
content and experiences.
With a brand identity refresh underway that’s putting Mozilla values into action through an Open
Design process, the team is poised to be at the forefront of change for Mozilla. You will take part
in extending the new brand into the tone of voice for our brands. It’s an amazing time to joining
We seek a copywriter to help us tell the story of Mozilla's impact in the world through its
programs, advocacy, technology, and products (including but not limited to Firefox). In a given
month as a writer for Mozilla, your work will extend from long-form blog writing to crisp billboard
headlines, and from helping Firefox users understand the benefits of a new feature to
generating ideas for Facebook campaigns in real time. In each case, you’ll choose concepts
and language that express the brand personality and positioning of our brands.
This contract position is located in our San Francisco, Mountain View, or Portland office.
As a freelance Copywriter here at Mozilla…
- You’ll contribute to original concepts for Mozilla product and brand offerings, including social posts, blog writing, informative writing about the Internet as a public service, digital and offline advertising, and impact storytelling.
- You’ll help refine the voice and tone for brand and product communication as part of the ongoing evolution of brand identity systems.
- You’ll work with internal teams to help apply the Mozilla and Firefox brand positioning to internal and HR communications directed toward Mozillians.
- You’ll work collaboratively and in the open with a team of other copywriters and visual designers as well as product marketing managers, developers, and UX specialists.
- You’ll conduct benchmarking research and make recommendations regarding brand tone.
Your Professional Profile
● 10+ years experience in advertising copywriting, journalism, content creation or related
● Ability to pitch work-in-progress ideas and present final work to a diverse set of partners
and draw inspiration from their feedback
● Experience working collaboratively and in the open using shared tools such as Google
● Self-motivated to prioritize and manage workload and meet project deadlines.
● Experience publishing your own content in a blog, on a site, or in print.
● Ability to write in a variety of styles with an ear for modern, conversational English
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that
open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to
promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age,
marital status, veteran status, or disability status.