Emerging Technologies UI/UX DesignerApply for this job
- Emerging Technologies
- Mountain View, San Francisco
The Emerging Technologies group is tasked with exploring future development possibilities for Mozilla. Part of this involves exploring, prototyping and building new device interfaces and experiences as part of the research process, and we want an experienced UI/UX designer to help bring our concepts to life.
In the short term, the focus will be on the rapid development of a home router to make using the internet more safe, more private and more fun. We are searching for a key team member to take responsibility for (re)designing the user interface. This position is about creating and building, everything from information architecture sketches and rough prototypes to beautiful, polished, pixel-perfect final interfaces.
In the longer term, this is a great opportunity to be part of a global, distributed team that is moving fast and crafting novel work at speed.As an Emerging Technologies UIUX Designer at Mozilla, you will…
- Work closely with HCI researchers and software engineers to design, iterate and implement radically redesigned consumer-focused router interfaces.
- Lead the work in rethinking new experiences and designs for consumer interaction with the router as a central piece of the home network.
- Work with UX/UI/HCI researchers to provide input on rapid, impactful studies to understand current router, VPN, Tor, firewall, bandwidth tracking, family internet use, ad-blocking and related practices, so that the studies can inform the design.
- Work with the team to explore, characterize and catalog existing interface designs for routers, router software and related devices.
- Use a wide range of appropriate tools to build interfaces at different levels of fidelity. We want someone comfortable working with anything from whiteboards and paper, to Balsamiq, Keynote, Powerpoint, Omnigraffle or other mockup tools to communicate increasing levels of detail, to pixel-perfect designs in Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign.
- Your strong portfolio will demonstrating your experience in rapidly sketching, designing, building, evaluating, incorporating feedback and redesigning beautiful, complex, and easy-to-use consumer interfaces on both web and mobile platforms.
- You will have a Masters or Ph.D with at very least three years experience designing and shipping multiple mobile products on both iOS and Android in a rapidly moving corporate or startup environment.
- You will be familiar with deriving design guidance from a variety of research methodologies, including interviews, ethnographic, close- and open-ended surveys, prototype and pilot studies, and log-based data studies.
- You will be familiar with a wide variety of prototyping tools and be able to show the progression of ideas through various levels of fidelity.
- You can effectively choose and combine research results to create thoughtful, valid and reliable insights to build better designs.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on products that promote choice and transparency and give people more control over their lives online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.