Firefox Web Platform Engineering ManagerApply for this job
Firefox Web Platform Engineering Manager
*Location: Toronto office
Does working on the world's largest collaboratively-developed software platform sound exciting? Are you interested in Web technologies and the applications built on them that enrich users’ lives? Do you want to create software for a massive audience? Do you want to think beyond the Web platform of today and help influence the shape and capabilities of all future browsing? If so, please apply to be an Engineering Manager for the Service Worker and Web-exposed storage teams (parts of the larger Firefox Runtime team) to help us realize this exciting future!
As an Engineering Manager you will:
- Mentor and manage a team of 4-8 software engineers distributed around the world.
- Report to an engineering director or senior manager.
- Lead the completion of major initiatives on clear timelines.
- Learn enough about the code to ensure that your team delivers high quality, measurable, and maintainable software.
- Anticipate headcount needs for the team and recruit to fill those needs.
- Develop and communicate the roadmap, scope, and risks of your team’s projects.
- Work openly and build a relationship with our user base, open source community, and partners.
- Create an environment in which your team members are continuously challenged and exposed to new opportunities.
- Help advance the careers of your team members.
- Be a positive influence on the team, fostering Mozilla’s cultural values.
- Be rewarded with growth and leadership opportunities for strong performance.
- 5+ years of overall relevant industry experience, with at least 2 years of people management experience as an engineering manager.
- Proven ability to successfully lead and ship software projects at scale.
- Proficiency with software development best practices for issue triage, prioritization, and execution.
- Ability to take initiative in a loosely structured environment to lead your team to success.
- Capability to manage and mentor geographically-distributed team members with different skill sets from your own.
- Demonstrated effective and persuasive written and oral communication skills.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains and we don't expect you to have all of them right now - you should be interested in learning new things! Ideally you have experience with some of these areas:
- Working knowledge of the modern Web platform.
- Experience with benchmarking and performance-sensitive design.
- Experience with best practices in software security and threat modeling.
- Working knowledge of modern software development build and test processes.
- Some experience with creating/architecting programming languages, compilers and/or operating systems.
Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online. Mozilla is a global organization but this role is available in our Toronto office in lovely downtown Toronto.