Jr. DevOps EngineerApply for this job
- Mozilla Foundation
Founded in 2003, the Mozilla Foundation is a California not-for-profit corporation dedicated to building and protecting the Internet as a public resource that is open and accessible to all. It is also the parent to the company that makes the Firefox web browser. The Foundation has 85 full-time staff who work closely with almost 1,000 staff in the Mozilla Corporation and tens of thousands of Mozilla volunteers around the world.
We believe that a healthy Internet and a healthy society are deeply entwined. A healthy Internet is private and secure; understandable; open; distributed; and inclusive. Sadly, the Internet is changing, and we are losing the freedom and opportunity we’d hoped for. The Foundation is growing the Mozilla Network to fuel and amplify the impact of a movement of people worldwide who are already working to support Internet health. We believe that as we shape the agenda, invest in leaders, and mobilize citizens, this movement will grow.
The Mozilla Foundation is looking for a Junior DevOps Engineer to assist in the development, deployment and monitoring of a variety of web sites and services that support Mozilla Foundation programs.The Job:
The Junior DevOps Engineer position is under the direction of our existing DevOps Engineer. This is an opportunity to learn how to support an engineering team and global organization.Responsibilities:
- Implement operational improvements across Mozilla Foundation web projects
- Triage and resolve issues in the DevOps queue
- Triage downtime notifications, knowing when to pull the alarm and when to let things resolve themselves.
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Configure and maintain uptime monitoring and alerting
- Occasionally jump in to write some code for deployment/build/testing processes
- Work with a variety of systems, workflows, and programming languages used to build and deploy modern web projects, for example:
- Amazon Web Services
- Databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Continuous Integration tools (Travis, Jenkins, Appveyor)
You might have spun up a server or two and configured some DNS records to get a project up and running. You care deeply about privacy and security. You’ll never trust an IoT lock on your front door. In fact, you might not trust regular locks on your doors. Ideally you live in Vancouver, BC, but we’re open to the right person located anywhere we can hire them (US, Canada, UK, or Germany).Pluses:
- Experience working on or contributing to open source projects
- Experience working with a distributed team
- Experience working remotely (if applicable)
- Interest in periodic travel for face-to-face teamwork
- The ability to juggle four cats at once
The Mozilla Foundation Engineering team is distributed across North America, primarily in Vancouver and Toronto. The Foundation as a whole is North America-centric, with a handful of staff in London and Berlin. We all meet face-to-face at least twice a year, and communicate via Slack and video calls the rest of the time. We support flexible working time, encourage use of paid time off, and have a positive and inclusive company culture. The benefits are great, too.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.