Machine Learning Intern - University 2018Apply for this job
Mozilla is hiring Software Engineering Interns into our technical teams throughout the world. Our headquarters are based in the Bay Area, but we also have opportunities at our offices in Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, London, Paris, and Berlin!
We are engineers, designers, makers, and problem solvers. We work in the fishbowl known as the open source community, with a clear focus on making the Web better. Working with us, you’ll help build interesting new features and improvements in Firefox. To be part of the team, we ask that you be technically-curious, a capable and always-interested-in-learning-more programmer, , and excited to be moving the Mozilla mission forward.
Mozilla isn’t just a great place to work, it’s an experience you’ll carry with you throughout your career. As part of our internship program, you’ll have the opportunity to be mentored one-on-one by a talented and experienced developer, to impact the projects you’ll collaborate on, and to never be bored. Ever. From the passionate people you’ll learn from, to the chances you’ll have to make the Web a better place, your time with Mozilla will be unlike any other.
Below is a small snapshot of the work we do to give you an idea about some of the big things you could do at Mozilla.
We have 1 position open for the following roles:
Mozilla is looking for PhD (or motivated MS) level interns to take on various projects within our Research Group. Past interns have done substantial work in Language Design, Compiler Optimizations, Garbage Collection, Static/Dynamic Analysis, Record-and-Replay Debugging, Parallel Algorithms, Graphics, Video Codecs, and Web Application Optimization. Your work will be highly visible and fully open, just like the rest of Mozilla. We’ve put together a list of possible research topics for this particular term, but we’d love it if you have research ideas of your own to bring to the group. As always, we strongly encourage our research interns to submit their results to relevant academic conferences. To apply, submit your resume via the online form located below.
Aside from the general qualifications listed below, each project has its own list of preferred qualifications. As a Research Intern at Mozilla, potential projects you will work on include:
Machine Learning Intern (Berlin)
Do you dream of harnessing your machine learning knowledge to enrich users’ lives and to improve their privacy and security while opening up models and data to the world? If so, you should join Mozilla’s Machine Learning group!
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline with a focus on software development
- Must be currently enrolled in university with graduation dates starting December 2018 and onward or have graduated from a Coding Academy within last 6 months
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience with TensorFlow
- Up to date on the latest deep learning research
- A thorough understanding of deep learning algorithms
- Technical fluency—ability to clearly discuss algorithms, architectures, and trade-offs
- Experience in systems software and algorithms
- Ability to quickly learn and be effective with a large code base
- Experience with writing and publishing academic papers
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong communication and social skills
- Reasonable fluency in and passion for technology
- Strong analytic and critical thinking skills
- Ability to interpret large amounts of data, multi-task, and produce results independently and collaboratively in a team
Note that this is a long wishlist of qualifications: if you feel you have some but not all of these skills, but you are interested, please do apply anyway.
**Please include a cover letter describing your research topic and/or dissertation topic and relevant project choice/area of interest.**
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
Want to see what Interns were working on this past summer?