Research and Experiments EngineerApply for this job
- Berlin, London, Mountain View, Paris, Remote, San Francisco
Mozilla is looking for a Research and Experiments Engineer to support the expanding intelligent systems team in scaling up exploratory research into human interact with the Web. Our team performs and explores large and small-scale interactions between humans and technology. We are seeking a talented and driven engineer with a keen interest in scientific research who is looking to grow their experience in experimental design, execution, and interpretation within a multidisciplinary team. Please apply to help Mozilla explore the dynamics of the World Wide Web and the vehicles that surf it.About the Job
The intelligent systems team strives to produce high-quality research that informs product prototype hypotheses and high level observations regarding the nature of the web and Firefox users interaction with online technologies. You will be responsible for interacting with Mozilla data analysis pipelines as well as the Firefox client and to participate in all levels of an experimentation workflow. A critical responsibility will be the development of dataset cleaning and validation tools. You will also actively participate in development and deployment of experiments via the Firefox SHIELD infrastructure and subsequent analysis, interpretation, and communication of results.
As a Research and Experiments Engineer at Mozilla you will:
- Design and implement data processing workflows to perform: cleaning, filtering, and feature selection/engineering yielding high-quality curated data sets for downstream consumption.
- Implement client-facing data collection under structured experimental conditions.
- Design & deploy machine learning algorithms and statistical models in multidimensional problem spaces.
- Contribute to scoping and assessment of exploratory applications that employ machine learning algorithms to Mozilla engineering products.
- Report to a staff research scientist.
- Create an environment in which team members are facilitated and empowered to produce high-quality scientific output.
- Be rewarded with growth, learning, and professional development opportunities.
- Have a positive influence on the team, fostering Mozilla’s cultural values.
Your Professional Requirements:
- Deep understanding of experimental design and scientific method.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in a software development or programming role.
- Technical understanding of SQL and database technologies.
- Technical fluency, ability to clearly discuss algorithms, statistics, and complexity
- Effective and persuasive written and oral communication skills in English.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should ideally have experience with the areas listed below, and be interested in learning new things. We’re excited to see:
- Master degree in a quantitative discipline, Machine Learning or Computer Science preferred.
- Experience with Apache Spark and Amazon AWS cloud computing platforms.
- Experience in open-source development and contribution to open-source technology.
- Ability to work remotely with a distributed interdisciplinary multi-cultural team across multiple time zones.
Mozilla is a global organization, and this role is available in our offices in the European Union, U.S., Canada, or home-based in the U.S., Canada, and European countries where Mozilla has a legal entity. You must have work authorization in one of these countries. We support flexible work hours, paid professional development, and have a wellness program that includes childcare assistance.Next Steps
If our team sounds like a good fit for you please send us your resume with a cover letter. Tell us about why you're interested in Mozilla and this position. If you contribute to any open source software, or maintain a blog, Twitter, or similar online presence we'd love to hear about it.About Mozilla
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.