Technical Innovation Crowdsourcing LeadApply for this job
- Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Toronto, Vancouver
The target locations for this position are our offices in; Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Toronto, Vancouver or remote in Canada or USA
Mozilla Corporation’s Open Innovation Team is seeking an experienced and driven person to build out and manage a crowdsourcing program to tackle complex technical innovation problems across the organization.
Our team is advancing Mozilla’s “open by design” strategy. We connect Mozilla’s product and technology initiatives with external collaborators and contributors, delivering services and building capacity across Mozilla as a centre of excellence for open methods.
Mozilla has a large and diverse number of technology and products initiatives underway across the organization. Many of these initiatives have complex technical problems they need to address -- in data science, software architecture, and other areas -- which can lend themselves either being described discretely or decomposed into several sub-problems. Any of these problems can then be subjected to methods of developing innovative solutions along with the crowd.
We would like to build out a service, to offer across Mozilla, of working with the crowd to source innovative solutions for these complex technical problems.
We are very early in designing what this program would look like, so that would be a big part of your initial mandate. You will liaise with a wide range of technology and product teams across Mozilla to develop and then manage a crowdsourcing project pipeline -- from sourcing and framing problems, to execution and evaluation.
In this role, you will run multiple projects at the same time, and coordinate work with various part of the Open Innovation team, along external partners and consultants. You will regularly work with both Mozilla and external communities.
You will be using your analytic capabilities and experience to identify, decompose and frame crowdsourcing problems. You will be using your project management skills to execute projects and manage a pipeline -- setting-up goals and project plans, working with our communications team to build tactics for engaging with communities and partners, and ensuring quality solutions. You will also evangelize the method internally.Responsibilities
- Liaise with technology and product teams to source technical problems appropriate for working with the crowd
- Design crowdsourcing projects, including problem decomposition, sequencing and choice of community
- Manage a healthy pipeline of projects in various stages of development and execution, including managing internal partner relationships
- Develop and maintain relationships to external crowdsourcing communities, platforms and consultants
- Lead the execution and evaluation of crowdsourcing projects
- Evangelize crowdsourcing and share expertise internally and externally through presentations and writing
- Experience sourcing, planning and executing crowdsourcing projects and challenges of a technical nature
- Analytical skills -- ability to understand and decompose problems
- Technical affinity -- able to quickly understand different technologies
- Strong project management skills, with a track record of executing complicated, multi-stakeholder projects
- Experience in communicating -- through presentations and writing -- to a variety of audiences
- A track record of building something -- a program, team, organization -- from scratch
- Experience working with external partners and communities
- You are self-motivated while also being a standout colleague
- You demonstrate commitment to equity, access and inclusion
- Effective and written and oral communication skills in English
- Data science or computer science background
- You have worked with a geographically dispersed team
- Experience contributing to an open source project and community
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.